Saturday, April 30, 2016

Snow Days, Slow Days

I feel the need to apologize for the relative lack of content here lately, but several circumstances are conspiring to reduce the frequency with which I have been posting. Some are beyond my control, others a function of having differing current priorities. For once, these are valid explanations, not merely excuses.

Weather

It literally snowed here yesterday, April 29, and the high temperature was 35° F. You can choose your own expletive for "F." Today is cool and very windy. This is not unexpected for this time of year, but is incredibly frustrating. It is simply useless to go out looking for insects or arachnids, or much of any wildlife, actually. Last year we had a snowstorm on Mother's Day weekend, so....(sigh).

Blowout Tiger Beetles, Cicindela lengi, have been among the few literal bright spots this spring

Those few insects I am finding have been posted more frequently on Facebook than here in this blog. Look me up on Facebook under "Bug Eric," and also the "Arthropods Colorado" group.

Writing Elsewhere

I continue to accrue more paying assignments at other websites and publications, so while this is a very good thing from an income standpoint, it means that I have less time to devote to this blog. Watch this space, though, for announcements of where else my work is appearing. Most of it is going to the After Bite Insectlopedia blog, under my name. I share billing with the anonymous "Professor Bugsbee."

Meanwhile, a brand new website on spiders will be making its debut shortly, and I will be contributing content in the form of articles. Our goal is to produce at least one new article each week, and by the time summer gets here I suspect that site will be getting most of my attention.

Lastly, I am hoping to do more editing and "style consulting" for other writers and their work, especially pertaining to natural history. Please contact me if you or someone you know is looking for helpful criticism and/or help in getting published. I had the good fortune of going over a couple of e-books, one on notable insects and other arthropods of Zion National Park, and another on the same subject for Cedar Breaks National Monument. I very much enjoy the process of book production and helping others.

Lack of Travel

I have already told my wife that I want us to book a vacation in Florida or somewhere else down south next April! I am not going to go six or seven months between out-of-state destinations. Thankfully, we will soon be going away to what we hope are literally greener pastures to the east. That should provide a little more blog fodder, I hope. Meanwhile, I am available for nature festivals, insect identification workshops, speaking engagements, and other events. After expenses are paid for, I am negotiable for honorariums.

Suggestions Always Welcome
Do you have a species of insect or arachnid you would like to see featured here? Maybe there is a topic that you would very much like to learn more about. Perhaps you have images or video of insect behavior that would make a great story? I am open to any and all of these things. While I rarely allow guest bloggers, I always give them due consideration, especially if there is no commercial component or agenda.

Take care friends, enjoy your own explorations and observations!

1 comment:

  1. Eric,

    Glad to hear that you're getting some paying gigs! I treasure your "Kaufman" field guide! As to ideas, here's one: while birding today I noticed that many warblers feed on the emergent foliage of trees. I took a closer look at some low White Oak branches and discovered that there are a lot of 'bugs' amongst the foliage. Birds 'n bugs might be a theme for you to explore on the blog.

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete

Blog author currently unable to reply to reader comments, nor comment himself. Working to resolve this.