Thursday, July 6, 2017

A Note to Pest Control Companies Trying to Use This Blog for Personal Gain

I have the "moderate comments" option on this blog fully operational, to eliminate spam, profanity, and other rude comments. Overwhelmingly, the offenders whose comments I swat most often are representatives of pest control companies that are seeking free advertising by including a link to their website and, maybe, a token compliment on a given post. I have a few words for these folks.

Those kind souls who actually take the time to read my blog understand that I never give pest control advice, for many reasons. Number one, the whole intention of this blog is to create a better understanding and appreciation of arthropods, and change attitudes from a "kill first, ask questions later" mentality to one of tolerance and pest prevention. Number two, I must reduce my own liability and vulnerability to legal action for dispensing advice that could go horribly wrong. My own financial protection has to be a concern, though I wish it was not necessary. Pest control companies have this as their number one priority, or they should. Lastly, my goal is to save my readers from unnecessary expenditures for pest control professionals, over-the-counter chemical treatments, and bogus products like "ultrasonic" repellent devices. They are largely a waste of money.

Another tactic that pest control companies have is to contact me suggesting that "your readers may be interested in x-subject or y-product or z-service," can you please post what amounts to a guest blog post on our company's behalf. No thank you. Pest control companies that are truly responsible, more customer-centered and less profit-crazed, and that honestly care about the environmental consequences of pest control, are welcome to e-mail me to discuss potential advertising on my blog. Advertising they would pay for, demonstrating their like-minded commitment to an educated consumer base. You better come armed with an A+ Better Business Bureau rating, and a host of customer recommendations, too. Naturally, I would be doing my own background checks to make sure our philosophies mesh.

Please note that my current blog sponsors are BioQuip Products and After Bite products, both of which are independent businesses that are pro-outdoor recreation and discovery and education. "Bug Eric" is all about encouraging readers to at least periodically unplug and go out and observe the natural world, be it their own backyard or a jungle, desert, or savanna overseas, or somewhere between those two extremes. This blog is also about understanding how the natural world works, understanding the place of all organisms in it, including Homo sapiens, and to encourage a more peaceful relationship with other creatures.

You are welcome to approach me for consideration of advertising space if your business reflects the values and intentions I have just described. Otherwise, please spare me your spam comments and requests for guest blogs. I would appreciate having more time to address legitimate topics and concerns here. Thank you.

6 comments:

  1. This under-handed approach by business is insidious! Good on you for being ethical, Bug Eric - your readers (like me) appreciate all the unseen work you do, as well as all the more obvious work you put into the blog and social media. Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you. I truly appreciate this compliment!

      Delete
  2. Hear hear! I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm experiencing the same pleasure on my blog. So you are not alone. If I ever write a post like this, my swatter will be directed at an exterminator in uniform representing all those bad boys (nice photo-shop challenge :) ) . Of course, I understand - those employees are only doing their job ... The home owners who call them for each and every bug are the problem: spray around the house, spray the whole yard, spray the weekend cottage on Mt Lemmon before the family comes up to party (just before the fire I ran into a chemical cloud from that...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 😂😂 You really went all out on this one Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nevertheless, keep it up. Appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Blog author currently unable to reply to reader comments, nor comment himself. Working to resolve this.