Friday, May 7, 2010

Apologies, Excuses, Suggestions

The loyal followers of this blog deserve to be dazzled and amazed much more frequently than the writer has been able to do lately. I sincerely apologize for the time lag and anticipate that things will improve soon. Today I will do a little explaining.

I am delighted to report that part of the reason I have been “missing in action” is because I have acquired some assignments that, believe it or not, are actually paying me for online content I am creating. As a co-moderator with Mandy Howe, I’m monitoring submissions to SpiderIdentification.org for a modest monthly wage. I want to express my sincerest thanks to webmaster Kyle Williams for this opportunity.

Kyle had also purchased the domain name “DustMites.org,” but soon sold it to another individual. That person, Tim McGuiness, is out of the same amazing mold as Kyle in that he, too, has offered to pay me for creating content. I am in the midst of doing that right this instant, and am facing a pretty tight deadline. The research alone has had my head swimming. Obviously, I am also grateful to Tim for his generosity. Both the spider and dust mite websites will eventually include advertising that may generate more income still for all involved, but first things first.

Since it is springtime, I have also found myself out in the field quite a bit, though my allergies to pollens have sometimes made for miserable outings. It has also been extremely windy here in southeast Arizona, making it difficult to get respectable images of flowers, insects, birds, and other organisms to illustrate this blog with. I am very appreciative of my friends Margarethe Brummermann, Ned Harris, Fred Heath and his wife Mary Klinkel, John Rhodes, and others for including me in their own field trips.

I am hoping that all of you are also getting out and about, but if not, may I suggest investigating some of the blogs that I follow? Margarethe just started her own, all about Arizona beetles, bugs, birds, and more. My entomological colleague David Almquist also has a new blog. Both are listed, along with perennial favorites like “Beetles in the Bush” by Ted MacRae, on the sidebar of this blog.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding. May you enjoy the season.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout, Eric!

    Also, thanks for pointing out Dave's bug blog, which I did not know about (no updates in the past month - I hope it didn't die already).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eric
    the field part is certainly the better part of this 'work'! Even if we sneeze...my new blog is from our backyard - about snakes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are getting out and about but sorry to hear your allergies are giving you fits. I do miss that Arizona weather. We are still having a fire in the woodstove in the evenings. Earlier this week we had snow, then hail, then rain so cold it was almost icy. Needless to say, we are still unable to get our seedlings outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for income! I've just registered at the Spider forums--spiders are a special interest of mine.

    ReplyDelete

Blog author currently unable to reply to reader comments, nor comment himself. Working to resolve this.