Friday, September 2, 2011

An Entomologist in Hollywood?

Yesterday I applied to be a host for a new television series being produced by Asylum Entertainment "and a major cable network." Wish me luck. I did share the link to my YouTube demo reel, but I fear they may think I'm not animated enough. I'm no Steve Irwin, but I am no stick in the mud, either. Maybe they will notice the stand-up performance in my YouTube account....

I have a gut-level feeling this is a more legitimate media venue than some of the other opportunities that have crossed my desk, so I really want to make it to the next level in the audition process. My style is to deliver accurate information, allay fears, refute urban legend and folklore, and do so with empathy to those not as sympathetic to the arthropod realm as I am. There have been far too many over-the top hosts already.

Stay tuned, and feel free to offer your support here, on Facebook, and any other public outlets you can think of. Thank you.

11 comments:

  1. Exciting!! I hope you get the gig, Eric! One day while watching tv, I'll be able to say, "Hey! I know that guy!" :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is mighty cool. I hope they actually produce the show!!!! And I agree, please, enough with the goofy over-the-top hosts. People who watch these shows aren't dumb, and the kids who watch these shows aren't either!! I don't even watch TV that much anymore because I'm just tired of being talked to like I know absolutely nothing about everything. :-P Best of luck to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got my vote! You really do make me more aware of all the tiny creatures around me. Since you first helped me to identify cross-web orb weavers (and now I'm amazed how many I see - bet they were there before!) I've become so much more aware of the number of universes of life all around me. You make me think about things like, what do I mean to a spider? I put in a plug on my facebook wall, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the support and informative comments! I'll keep you posted (no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I am sure that you will be a well informed and entertaining host, just what is needed. Are you watching some TV hosts, like Neil deGrasse Tyson to pick some hints?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas, nothing ever became of this (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bug Eric! I met the argiope spider today but I didn't know if it was male or female but I just have to ask this question. Could the egg sac be yellow and kinda diamond shaped?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shape and color of the egg sac depends on the species of Argiope.

      Delete
    2. Bug Eric is there a way i can send you a picture of the egg sac and the spider?

      Delete
    3. Please use the "Forum" tab at the top of this page. Thank you.

      Delete

Blog author currently unable to reply to reader comments, nor comment himself. Working to resolve this.